After completing this Salesforce Platform Overview unit, you will be able to:
- Define the Salesforce platform.
- Describe the DreamHouse scenario.
- Create a Trailhead Playground.
- Explain the difference between programmatic development and declarative.
SALESFORCE A quick introduction to Salesforce
You might think that Salesforce is just a CRM system. It stores your customer data, gives you processes for taking care of leads, and provides you with ways to collaborate with people who work with you. And it does all those things. But saying that Salesforce is “just a CRM system” is like saying that a house is just a kitchen. There is much more to it.
Salesforce comes with lots of standard features , or products and features that don’t need configuration and that you can use to take your deal. Here are some common things businesses want to do with Salesforce and the features we give you to cover those activities.
|You need:||So we offer you:|
|Sell to leads and customers||Leads and opportunities to manage sales|
|Help customers after the sale||Customer Engagement Cases and Communities|
|Working on the Go||The Salesforce Customizable Mobile App|
|Collaborate with colleagues, partners and customers||Chatter and Communities to connect your company|
|Market to your audience||Marketing Cloud to manage your customer journeys|
Depending on what your company purchases, you can get those features and more without lifting a finger. But you could almost think of these features as a home model displayed by a realtor. He could certainly live in it, but it would not be his home. He would not have his works of art hanging on the wall or that strange coat rack that his aunt gave him as a gift for the new home.
This is where the Salesforce platform comes in. With the platform, you can customize and create anything to make your company unique. And when you have a unique business app for yourself, everyone is more successful.
Stories about Salesforce
Through Trailhead you are introduced to a large number of companies and characters who are using Salesforce in different ways. Let’s meet some of the players.
- Cloud Kicks: This custom shoe company is taking the shoe industry by storm. They use Salesforce to manage sales and help simplify their complicated order creation and fulfillment process.
- Ursa Major Solar: At the forefront of renewables, Ursa Major Solar needs business software that doesn’t shy away from cutting edge technology. They use Salesforce to manage sales and customer service across the country.
- Get Cloudy Consulting: As one of the best consulting firms in the industry, Get Cloudy knows CRM. They use Salesforce to manage existing and potential customers and are always looking for new ways to innovate with Salesforce services.
- DreamHouse Realty: Known for its revolutionary approach to the real estate market, DreamHouse uses Salesforce to connect its employees and improve the efficiency of home sales.
We are going to delve into this topic of housing, so let’s start our first module by taking DreamHouse Realty. We will use the Salesforce implementation of DreamHouse to explain some fundamental terms, concepts, and functions of the Salesforce platform.
Let’s get to know DreamHouse a bit.
Michelle is the lead Realtor at DreamHouse. She finds many potential buyers through the DreamHouse website and mobile apps. With the apps, clients can browse available homes and make a list of favorite properties they are interested in. They can also contact Michelle or the agents directly to arrange visits.
D’Angelo is the Salesforce administrator for DreamHouse. Using the Salesforce platform, he is building a set of custom functions to cover Michelle and her team. Michelle can use these custom functions to edit and view information about the properties that she sells, as well as to keep track of potential buyers of her.
Remember, Salesforce comes with standard features for keeping track of common sales objects, such as accounts, contacts, and leads. But DreamHouse is a real estate company, so it has needs specific to your industry and business model. During this module we will work with D’Angelo to see how the Salesforce platform can meet those needs.
SALESFORCE Know our terminology
Perhaps you noticed a strange word in the last paragraph: objects. A object is one of many important terms that you will learn as you learn about Salesforce.
First, it is important to understand what a database is in the context of Salesforce. When we talk about the database, think of a giant spreadsheet. When you put information into Salesforce, it is stored in the database so that you can access it later. They are stored in a very specific way so that you can access the information you need at all times.
Let’s take a look at a page in the DreamHouse application to define some of its important elements and how they relate to the database.
- A application in Salesforce is a set of objects, fields and other functions to cover a process of deal. You can see which application you are using and switch between applications using the Application Launcher ().
- The objects are tables in the database Salesforce data that stores a particular type of information. There are standard objects like Accounts and Contacts and custom objects like the Property object you see in the chart.
- The records are rows in the database tables. Records are the actual data associated with an object. Here the 211 Charles Street property is a record.
- The fields are columns in the database tables. Standard and custom objects have fields. In our Property object, we have fields like Address and Price.
Another important term that is difficult to frame in an image is organization . An org refers to a specific instance of Salesforce. The image here is taken from the DreamHouse organization. Your company can have one or multiple organizations.
There is a lot to take in. If you don’t understand everything the first time, don’t worry. As you learn about Salesforce, the terminology will come naturally.
SALESFORCE Customize the Salesforce platform
You already know that you can use the Salesforce platform to develop custom objects and functions specific to your business. What you may not know is that you can do most of this development without writing a single line of computer code.
Development without programming is known as declarative development . With declarative development, you use drag-and-drop tools and forms to perform powerful customization tasks. The platform also offers programmatic development , which uses things like Lightning components. But if you’re not a programmer, you can still build some amazing things on top of the platform.
Let’s start at the bottom. Michelle wants a quick way to tell if a prospective buyer is prequalified for a mortgage. To make this change, D’Angelo wants to create a Prequalified check box on the Contact object. In the language of Salesforce, we are adding a custom field to a standard object. Let’s see how it does it.
- Desde el icono de engranaje (), haga clic en Configuración para abrir la página Configuración. Utilizamos mucho Configuración, ¡así que recuerde este paso!
- Haga clic en la ficha Gestor de objetos.
- Haga clic en Contacto.
- Bajo Campos y relaciones, haga clic en Nuevo.
- Un tipo de datos indica el tipo de información que se aloja en su campo. Para este campo, seleccione Casilla de verificación y haga clic en Siguiente.
- La Etiqueta de campo es lo que ve en la página Contacto. Ingrese ¿Precualificado? y haga clic en Siguiente.
- Haga clic en Siguiente de nuevo.
- Seleccione la casilla de verificación para agregar el nuevo campo al Formato de página de contacto y luego haga clic en Guardar.
You have just customized your first object. Excellent work!
You have just customized your first object. Excellent work!
Let’s take a look at what we did. From the Application Launcher (), find and select & Contacts . Use the arrow &
We added that field pretty quickly. But it seems we did more than just add a field. At the same time, the platform did a lot of work under the hood. Obviously the new field was added to the user interface. You can also run reports and create dashboards that reference your new field. The field is even ready to go in the Salesforce mobile app. And you didn’t have to do anything except click Next!
That’s the power of the Salesforce platform. In the next unit we will talk about some ways to take advantage of the platform for your business.